With such an arsenal of information available on essential oils and their uses, it is easy to become overwhelmed. Here are three useful oils to start you on your aromatherapy path. Lemon, Lavender, and Tea Tree. Always be sure to look for 100% pure, food grade, organic essential oils to ensure the highest quality and benefits.
LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
Antibacterial, cleansing, deodorizing, invigorating, exfoliating, culinary.
- Cleaning - 2-3 drops on a damp washcloth will effectively cleanse most hard surfaces in the kitchen. Excellent for wiping down the cutting board and utensils made of wood after washing to discourage bacteria. 2-3 drops applied directly will remove grime and grease.
- Purifying the air - A few drops in a diffuser or a cup of hot water or 5-7 drops in a pan simmered on the stove.
- Cooking. A few drops may be added to your favorite baking recipes to add a lemony kick.
LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL
Antibacterial, relaxing, anti-stress, healing, sleep inducing, deodorizing, cleansing, culinary.
- Cleaning-Can be used in cleaning in the same manner as above.
- Babies, children and pets
- A drop massaged into baby gums helps relieve teething pains.
- Diaper Rash Cream-5-7 drops Lavender essential oil into a small container of diaper cream and voila! You have the most effective, long-lasting diaper cream on the block.
- Massage 1-2 drops lavender essential oil to tips of ears to soothe and calm hyperactive pets.
- Relaxing sleep-- To fill your bedroom with the relaxing scent of Lavender, heat a few drops in a diffuser or add 10 drops to a spray bottle filled with water and mist bedding.
- Acne treatment- 3-5 drops on a washcloth to apply to skin before bed, or directly applied to blemishes.
- Frequent Flyer's Lavender Foot cream- Apply 10 drops to your favorite bottle of foot cream and massage into feet to prevent swelling (and smelling!)
TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL
PROPERTIES: anti-inflamatory, healing, anti fungal, anti-bacterial
- Skin Care-- Add 12 drops to your hand soap for anti-bacterial and anti-chap action.
- Apply directly to mild abrasions and psoriasis as needed to promote healing.
- Burns - Add a few drops to a small amount of toothpaste (not tooth gel). Apply paste to burnand add a few drops water to spread the paste and activate cooling action. If it dries out add more water to re-activate. Continue use until pain subsides.
- Cleaning- Bathroom cleaner: Add 10 drops to dry baking soda and use the dry mixture in place of comet to clean tub and toilet. Interestingly, this cleaning powder works well without water. Just scrub around the tub with a cloth, then rinse at the end.
I hope these three oils add peacefulness and purity to your home!